Tuesday, June 26, 2012

What the Bleach!?!

I'm not a professional by any means. I just like to mess with my hair. . .

I used to be so scared of any kind of lightening or bleach process. I got tired of paying so much money to have my hair colored and lightened and decided to just go for it one day. After a year of bleaching at the salon, I was confident my hair was resilient enough for some at home lightening.

I started with just a strand or some tips and then went from there. My favorite bleach technique is streaks on the side like Bride of Frankenstein. I'm weird like that.
I like to do bright color over the blonde in semi permanent colors. It is inexpensive, low maintenance, and best of all no roots (except in the bleached/colored sections). My hair is so dark, the unbleached areas look black and the bleached areas are bright and beautiful color. I hope to show the color process in a later post. For now, this is how I go from blue to blonde.


Photos of the bleaching process:

 Before:



During:


After:




I like the two tone effect, but if you use a toner you can eliminate some of the brassiness that occurs with dark hair. I use products with cool pigments in them. Biosilk has great products. I recommend Biosilk Silver Lights Shampoo & Conditioner for eliminating orange and yellow tones.


Pulled back into a pony to show the side stripes from the font:

The set up and preparation is where all the work is.  Such as making the parts in my hair and covering every surface I can with towels and newspaper.
Here is what I used:
  1. Prism Lights bleach packet in Azul (they also make violet & red)
  2. 20 Developer
  3. Pyrex measuring cup with ounces
  4. Plastic bowl & brush
  5. Rubber gloves
  6. Aluminum foil
  7. Ph balanced shampoo for the after rinse




All the products I need are at the local beauty supply store. The total cost of everything was around $20 and everything gets me several uses. I'm still on the same developer and bowl since a year ago! I only need to replace the bleach and gloves every 4 or 5 uses. It costs me about $5. When I replace the color it's about $10.

The Ph balance shampoo is great and smells so clean. It has a citrus aroma. I love using it when I bleach my hair. It isn't recommended for daily use. It helps get rid of the bleach residue before adding colored pigment which is a process I usually do after I rinse the bleach.


Getting Started
Just add 2 parts developer to 1 part powder.

I use a pencil or hair chopstick to part and separate my hair selections and pull the rest back so it's out of the way. This is where 90% of the work is in the bleaching process (combined with the covering the counters prep). I'm usually much more delicate but my camera was dying and I wanted to show you as much as possible.


                                           
                                                                                             Song by: Beats Antique

I apply the mixture very liberally to the roots and work my way down. I mostly focus on applying the mixture when my hair is pulled in three directions: straight down, pulled back, pulled forward (shown at the beginning of the video). This makes sure that no matter how my hair is styled, I get a nice full stripe with no gaps or black strands.

I leave the really processed parts alone usually, and trim the ends after.  After applying, I just sit around for 50 minutes to an hour. Then rinse with the ph balance shampoo.

Hope you enjoyed this post. Stay tuned for the color application in the future!



No comments:

Post a Comment