Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Dia Painting for Lori

Below is the progression of my latest painting. It took about 3 weeks to complete. I just finished it last night. It feels good to be selling paintings but sometimes it's hard to part with them. This one was a special request for the subject matter. I worked off a photo Lori sent me and used her favorite color purple. I've been doing a lot of dia paintings lately and have always enjoyed painting skulls.

This piece, I worked with iridescent gold paint. It has a really pretty shine. It is 20" x 30". I usually work on a bigger canvas and prefer larger paintings, but this was the perfect size for a quick turn around. I enjoyed adding lots of contrast and some expression in the roses and skeleton, leaving a lot of brushstrokes and less blending than the rest of the painting. The skeleton guy in the background was my favorite portion to paint.  The finished work is at the bottom. I can't wait to start the next project and to continue growing as an artist!

Finished!

A BIG thank you to Lori for commissioning this piece. I had so much fun working on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment